During the first 6 years of life our brain is in record mode where we take everything we see and hear to be 100% true. It is during this time that we can develop our strongest and most life limiting beliefs which we then measure the rest of our life against. These truths, held in our subconscious, serve only to protect us by reminding us of what happened last time and try to keep us safe from repeating the event, however nowadays what mostly happens is that these limiting beliefs keep us in a state of sickness or fear.
As the years go by the subconscious is constantly being triggered by:
- the look someone gave you,
- the tone of voice you heard,
- the smell in the air when you heard the news,
- the feeling you had when it happened
All of our senses play a part in locking things into our subconscious, but mostly it is about what you told yourself at that time that creates the life limiting belief. When the senses are reminded of the event, the belief is reinforced.
The questions often asked is:
- How do you know that you have limiting beliefs?
- How do you find them? and more so,
- How can you change them?
One way to recognise some of you limiting beliefs is to look at what is not working in your life right now, money, success, relationships. Behind it will be a limiting belief that is stopping (protecting) you from moving further than where you are today.
Working as an Meridian Energy Psychology Practitioner, which includes EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) tapping, is it our job to pull on our core questioning skills to help your subconscious open up and show what your limiting beliefs are. Once you find them, using EFT tapping, you get to take the learnings from your subconscious and re-program (re-record) it to a more positive and resourceful state. By clearing and re-programing your limiting beliefs all affirmations will be powered up as they do not have your subconscious blocking you.
Below are a list of questions that can be used to help uncover your limiting beliefs by triggering your subconscious so that you get that ‘Ah-Ha’ moment.
You may use these to question yourself and your own life, but know that your subconscious is a master at protecting you, so you may only be able to go as far as your subconscious will allow. Working with a trained practitioner will help to get to those that are blocking your barriers to success.
80 Questions to identify limiting beliefs
- What is not working in your life now?
- How does that make you feel?
- When did this first happen?
- What age were you when this happened?
- What was going on in your life at that time?
- What was your emotional state at that time?
- What was going on in your life just before this?
- How would your life be if you didn’t have this?
- What would you need to do differently if this wasn’t there?
- What would you not want to do if you didn’t have this?
- Who or what would be affected if you let go of this?
- How would that affect them/it?
- How safe would you feel if you didn’t have this?
- If this represented an emotion – what might it be?
- If this pain could talk – what might it say?
- Who’s voice would that be?
- Where did you learn this behaviour/statement from?
- Who first said these words to you?
- Are those your words or someone elses?
- What tone of voice do you speak to yourself in?
- Is this your issue or someone elses?
- When was the first time you remember feeling like this?
- What does this remind you of?
- What could this feeling be protecting you from?
- What could be the purpose of this?
- What do you wish never happened in your life?
- If you could change one thing, what would that be?
- Can you remember the first, worst and/or last time this happened?
- Why might you deserve this?
- If this issue had a meaning, what might it be telling you?
- How do you know you have this?
- How many times has this occurred / re-occurred?
- If someone else had this what would you say to them?
- Where is the emotion located?
- What does that part of the body mean to you?
- How does that makes you feel e.g. makes my skin crawl, gets up my nose etc.
- What image comes to mind when you think of this?
- What does that image represent?
- Why do you think you haven’t resolved this yet?
- What did you tell yourself when this happened?
- What happened last time you were at your best?
- What do you tell yourself about it?
- What stops you from being well / free from this?
- How are you contributing to this?
- If an experience could have contributed to this, what might that be?
- What does this pain/emotion mean to you?
- If you could choose to have this , what would be the reason for it?
- How much (%) do you believe that you will get better / be free of this?
- What does the remaining % consist of?
- What would make that 100%?
- When you think of it, is it close by or far away?
- How many generations might this go back?
- Who could it have started with?
- Where could it have started (time period)
- What might have been happening at that time (e.g. war / the great depression)
- If it had a colour, what might it be?
- What does that colour mean to you?
- If it had a shape, what might it be?
- What does that shape represent?
- If it had a smell, what might it be?
- What does that smell remind you of?
- What makes you believe this is true?
- Why are you holding onto this?
- Who are you trying to hurt by holding onto this?
- What could you do to help yourself ?
- Why don’t you do that?
- When the problem happened, what did that say about you?
- What part of you would you have to give up if you overcame this?
- What struggles do you have on a daily basis?
- What do you complain about the most?
- When is the issue at its worst
- What are you doing?
- What are you thinking?
- What external influences are there?
- What are you doing too much or too little of?
- What is the recurring pattern [issue/event] that happens in your life?
- What would you have to believe in, in order to change this?
- What is the main character trait in someone else that really irritates you?
- I keep ‘this issue’ because……………………….?
- What would you say to your younger self to stop this from ever happening?
Debby is a Master EFT Trainer and has trained many people on how to tap on themselves for themselves to uncover and reprogram their limiting beliefs, as well as training people to become successful EFT practitioners.
She works with people on a one:one basis in person or via Skype.
Visit her website www.dev.free-yourself.co for more info.